Tuesday, August 30, 2011
I'm back....it's been awhile since I've posted because we've moved from California to Oregon, so with a big move, it's taken me awhile to get back on track with this quilt. Am now discovering awesome quilt shops here and in Washington since I'm in close proximity. I rearranged elements differently than the original bride block. The only tricky parts were the "layering" of her hands holding the vines.
Thursday, August 25, 2011
As different as each block is from one another, I'm amazed that they all look so good together. Unfortunately, the colors are very washy, not all like their true vibrant selves. CWB #1 took six weeks to make, second guessing and agonizing over every little decision. Since mid-July I've finished five blocks with the sixth, CWB #11, shy one leaf from completion. Fabric choices do get easier.
The peacocks were a joy to make. Though the topknots are different from the pattern, I don't think the peacocks mind. A picture of a Zebra moth inspired the black and white butterfly. Who knew such coloration existed in the butterfly world?
The red and green polka dot fabric was the starting point for this block. While the applique was fun, selection of fabrics to coordinate with the polka dots was mind bending. The purple flowers at first seemed a wrong color but ultimately were an excellent choice.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
I am so happy to have this block finished! It took me a long time to work up the courage to make that tail. In the end I used an overlay to place and applique the feathers. I was pleased with the results :0) I really liked Lurline and Teresa's birds so I tried to draw mine to look like theirs. Thank you so much to everyone for all your inspiration! Am I the only one having trouble leaving comments on this blog?
Monday, August 15, 2011
So after doing the first two blocks, I got adventuresome, and really wanted to do the Pea Hen block. I modified her a little bit, and I'm still not sure what her crown should look like. I found a bit of fabric for inspiration (or appliqué?), and it's pinned on in the lower left. I made those pesky feet out of ultra-suede, and still need to stitch (glue?) them down. Oh, and she needs an eye! Poor thing can't see where she's going yet! I'm currently working on my Bride, the ostriches, the elephant and the table with the vase. (yes, all at once! LOL!) But, mostly the Bride. Hope to get her flowers finished and post her soon for you to enjoy! ~Vicki in Connecticut
Hi Everyone! I've been enjoying seeing all your blocks, and have finally gotten up the courage to post my blocks. This is the first one I did, and actually the colors are more vivid than my camera would allow. The red of the apples is very red, not murky and dark. I'm using different backgrounds for each block, and having fun going through my stash for the right fabric to use! I'm also using the plastic template/magic sizing method and even though it's time-consuming, I find it's easier than needle-turn for me. So, here it is....I hope you all like it! (and there will be more to come...if this post goes smoothly, I'll post my others shortly) Vicki in Connecticut, USA
Thursday, August 11, 2011
I finished the Strawberry block a little awhile ago but just took a photo. I liked making this block until I had to sew on the tops. I thought about doing ultrasuede but I ended up fusing the tops on and then machine stitched a blanket stitch around each top. It actually looked better than I thought it would. For my 4th block I started on the one that has two birds that are pale pink with lots of leaves. I am most definitely not using pale pink for my two birds. The brighter the better in my book.
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Saturday, August 6, 2011
I really enjoyed picking out the fabrics for this block. I have a collection of Blue and White pottery from when I lived in China and was going for that look with the vase. I didn't do the embroidery for the tablecloth fringe but thought that this fabric worked well and was thrilled to find the perfect table leg fabric in my stash.
Friday, August 5, 2011
Is it not funny my center block looks the same color as the wall? or is it just my favorite color?
well it is finished, now I have to find courage/energy to start working on the borders. Luckily for me there will be not much space left for quilting the CWB. Just some outlining I think. Enjoyed working on this quilt so far, I used as much as Kaffe Fassett fabrics as possible. It has been a treat.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Now that I have the center blocks finished I am starting to think about quilting. I am wondering if those of you who have completed your blocks did any cutting away from behind of the larger pieces. I made a Baltimore Album a few years back and I think I cut out from behind some of the larger pieces. When quilted it seems to emphasize those pieces a bit more. Any thoughts on that?
I too recently finished my Bird of Paradise block. His little head looked naked so I added a little topknot. And now I am a little over half way done the blocks. Yay. Here are the first 10 blocks as they will be set though this block is not quite complete in the photo.I think that it is really starting to come together and I must thank Susi (hope I got your name spelled correctly) for her inspiration for moving the blocks.
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
I had fun with this:) A little fiddly, but it was fun. I pieced the tail together first, as a unit, then appliqued it to the background. This bird has a beak, as it was a part of the body, but the legs are left out... for now:) The colours looks darker than it is, though. I started the ostrich block, but got waylaid by summer, vacation and knitting. Cold evenings seems to be more conducive to handsewing. I will return!